The first week of February brings with it Super Bowl XLV (45). This year’s match will be played in Cowboys Stadium in Texas by the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers. Super Bowl Sunday sets many records both on and off the field. With so many parties, so much delicious food, and so much anticipation building, here are some fun facts and tips to help you enjoy game day.
Super Bowl Facts
- 2010’s Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints game is the most watched television program in American history.
- The average cost for a 30 second commercial is nearly $3 million.
- Around 100 million people will watch the Super Bowl, and spend $5 to $6 billion on related items.
- Around 20 million people will attend a game day party, with the average party hosting 17 people.
- Super Bowl Sunday is the second biggest day for food consumption (right after Thanksgiving)
Just how much food is consumed that day?
- 8 million pounds of popcorn
- 28 million pounds of potato chips
- 53.5 million pounds of avocado
- 1 billion chicken wings
- 325 million gallons of beer
Game Day Tips
Whether you’re attending a party or not, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Try to pick healthful choices from the options at hand.
- Save your appetite for foods that you really enjoy and are good for you.
- Make sure to stay hydrated: drink lots of water in addition to or instead of alcohol.
- Watch your portion sizes.
- Stay active throughout the day.
Don’t forget to take a look at This Week’s Recipes for a healthy twist on traditional Super Bowl items.
Still hungry for more tips and information? Be sure to browse the following:
- Game Day from Diabetes In Control
- Heart Attacks and Game Day from WebMD
- Super Bowl Food Safety Advice from the USDA
This blog entry was written by Web Intern Helen Zhu.